Sunday, January 29, 2006

It's like I was in Harry Potter! Except for all those Muggles hanging around.



Yesterday, I went to Oxford, and it was absolutely fantastic! I don't even know where to begin. Well, probably at the beginning. Anyway, after some minor technical difficulties in transportation, we got on the train Dipcot Way at 9:30, then from there grabbed the bus to Oxford. Really easy, actually. So, Oxford is great! We went to the room at the University, where they film the Hospital Room scenes in Harry Potter! It was so cool. It's a lot smaller in person, but in my pictures it looks a lot bigger. I'm not sure if the picture loaded properly. If it did, that's it at the top.

Then we went to the Oxford University Botanic Gardens, even though it was January, the grass was still green. And the greenhouses were amazing. I can't imagine what it looks like in the spring or summer. Of course, then you have to pay to get in. Which we didn't have to do, or didn't do. But I don't think we had to. After the gardens, we found Christ Church College, where they filmed more Harry Potter! In the first movie, when they're waiting on the stairs to go into the Great Hall and be sorted, yeah, I was on those stairs. It was really cool. And they modeled the HP hall after the Christ Church Hall, too. The rest of the college was really awesome, even though it wasn't used for HP.

Oxford's also the town where Lewis Carroll worked and wrote Alice in Wonderland, so there was a ton of Alice stuff. I bought some fudge, some delicious, delicious, wonderfulicious fudge. Oh man. It's good. After Christ Church we went to the Pitt Rivers museum where they had all these taxidermied animals and fossils, and it was so cool. We finished the day at the Eagle and Child Pub, where JRR Tolkien used to hang out with CS Lewis. That was cool. We accomplished everything on the list, and still were able to make the 6:40 bus to the train, then train to tube, tube to double decker, double decker basically to our doorstep by 8:50. Good times.

The girls that planned this trip did a good job with researching everything, and figuring out the trains and buses and all. All I had to do was follow around, and not worry about anything. That was cool. A very action packed day. And not that expensive either.

Today I will rest. And do nothing too taxing.

1 Comments:

At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to see when Alice in Wonderland was written. How neat! I WANT FUDGE! I always want fudge. I love that you are having such a great time. I'll tell Lorenzo hi for you.
- Ash

 

Post a Comment

<< Home